Facility Assistant | Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center | Fairbanks, Alaska
The Position: Facility Assistant
The Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center (MTCVC) has served the Fairbanks Community since
2008 as a place for gathering, discovery, education, and celebration. MTCVC’s partnership model unites
diverse non‐profit organizations to provide innovative, synergistic programs more effectively. As the
Facilities Assistant, you will assist with daily operations, ensure facility readiness and help maintain all
systems and equipment. You will report to the Facilities Manager as you perform routine and
preventative maintenance, groundskeeping, and custodial duties. This is a physically demanding position.
You must be able to stand, walk, climb ladders and lift items throughout a standard shift. Our ideal
candidate has a willingness to learn, is safety conscious, enjoys working with diverse populations, a strong
work ethic, experience with HVAC, plumbing and facilities maintenance, and excellent communication
and time management skills.
Facilities Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
– Working with the Facilities Manager, the Facilities Assistant’s Role
– Maintain essential systems like HVAC, plumbing and lighting
– Attend to the grounds, maintaining a clean, well‐kept appearance to entryways and outdoor
– General maintenance, including carpentry, painting, plumbing, basic electrical repair
– Masonry care and maintenance, concrete sidewalk care, maintenance and repair
– Heavy equipment use, on the exterior and interior on the of buildings, including but not limited to
scissors lifts, knuckle boom, and skid steers.
– Leading seasonal staff, volunteers, occasional community service personnel, contractors, and
tenants when needed
– Communicating with and assisting visitors to the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center
– Other duties as assigned
Facilities Assistant Requirements and Qualifications
– Experience with facilities maintenance, especially plumbing and HVAC
– Experience or certification as an electrician
– Excellent time management and organizational skills
– Ability to use email, computer for office and facility purposes, telephone, copiers, and other
standard office equipment
– Ability to pass a background investigation
Salary and Benefits
Position is full‐time, non‐exempt, 40 hours/week. Hourly rate beginning at $25/hour, DOE. Competitive
benefit package including health, vision, and dental insurance; retirement plan; and paid time off. Work
takes place on site; work schedule may be negotiated as the facility is open 7 days a week and has
periodic use in the evenings.
To apply, send cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews will be done on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled.
We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and
perspectives to apply. It’s unlikely that anyone will have all the skills, qualifications, and experience listed
in a given job announcement: don’t let a mismatch between your résumé and one specific area of this job
description deter you from applying.
MTCVC is an equal opportunity employer.