Executive Director | Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center | Fairbanks, Alaska
The Position: Executive Director
The Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center (MTCVC) has served the Fairbanks Community since 2008 as a place for gathering, discovery, education, and celebration. MTCVC’s partnership model unites diverse non-profit organizations to provide innovative, synergistic programs more effectively. Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) oversees a broad portfolio of programs including operating the facility; stewarding financial assets; fundraising and grant writing; and ensuring compliance with board directives and applicable grantor, federal, and state requirements. The ED is directly responsible for supporting the relationships between the non-profit partner organizations that conduct their business within the facility, and for nurturing a positive organizational culture throughout the building. The ED supervises two highly qualified staff. In addition to these duties the ED may undertake additional projects, including community outreach and programming, in line with MTCVC strategic objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement proactive maintenance and improvements to the building.
- Facilitate partner and building staff meetings, encouraging cooperation and building consensus.
- Coordinate development of policies and procedures that impact all partners.
- Oversee ongoing contract services and manage construction and maintenance projects.
- Remain on-call 24 hours for emergency situations.
- Oversee bookkeeping and accounting functions.
- Lead preparation and implementation of the annual budget of approximately $1,000,000.
- Design and implement a program for building rental and events with outside organizations.
- Write and implement grants for special projects, independently and in collaboration with partners.
- Facilitate financial agreements with Federal entities.
- Support the board of directors in developing and adopting strategic goals.
- Develop and implement plans to achieve the goals set by the Board of Directors.
- Manage payroll and benefits programs.
- Develop and oversee a fundraising program.
- Facilitate and coordinate schedules and meetings for the Board and committees.
- Prepare and/or oversee external communications, advertisement and marketing, and donor relations.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or five to seven years professional experience.
- Experience in non-profit management.
- Demonstrated progressive responsibility including direct reports.
- Skills in facility management, fundraising, accounting functions.
- Track record of budget management at the $500,000 + level.
- Ability to work well with diverse groups including Alaska Native people.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with multi-platform external communications.
- Team building and diplomacy skills.
- Good judgment and ability to work well under pressure.
Physical and Environmental Requirements:
- Ability to move to and throughout the building, work in an office and to travel to/ from other offices or job sites, use a computer, manipulate papers/ objects, and communicate effectively.
- Capacity to work efficiently in a busy and sometimes stressful environment.
- Ability and willingness to work in Alaska weather extremes.
- A professional appearance in compliance with the MTCVC dress code.
Salary range beginning at $85,000 DOE. Competitive benefit package including health, vision, and dental insurance; retirement plan; and paid time off. Work takes place on site; work schedule may be negotiated.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Interviews will be done on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled. Due to the pace of this search, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. It’s unlikely that anyone will have all the skills, qualifications, and experience listed in a given job announcement: don’t let a mismatch between your resume and one specific area of this job description deter you from applying. MTCVC is an equal opportunity employer.